An Introduction to Jake, and Philly Beer Week
Ladies, gentlemen, cats, dogs, birds, lizards, snakes (and whatever else people keep in their apartments/houses) – please allow me to introduce myself.
My name is Jake Tulsky and I’m thrilled, and eternally grateful, to be joining The Brew Enthusiast as a content contributor. As a fellow beer lover, drunken ponderer of existential thought, and master of consumption, I’m very much looking forward to sharing my thoughts, insights, and access into the world of beer.
Specifically, I’ll be focusing on the Philadelphia beer scene. As a native son to the city of brotherly love, I feel it my duty to share with you a glimpse into one of the best beer cities in the country, dare I say the world.
And what better time to introduce myself, and Philly, to the Brew Enthusiast than on the eve of Philly Beer Week’s Opening Tap! For the uninitiated, Philly Beer Week (PBW) is a 10 day festival of all things beer. Now in its 8th year, PBW assembles a wide array of tastings, tours, pub crawls, and brewer introductions unlike any other event in the United States.
And just for you, Brew Enthusiast devotees, I’ll be PBW’ing it up as much as my corporate job will allow to provide unfettered access into a truly unique and fantastic event.
So without further ado, here’s a preliminary list of this weekend’s events that I plan on checking out and documenting.
- Varga Bar 5th Annual Pints and Pinups Block Party BBQ (941 Spruce Street, Philadelphia)
- EVENT: “It's our annual BLOCK PARTY! Games, beers, food... fun for the whole family! photobooth, dunk tank, wing eating contest... so like we said, fun for the whole family!”
- WHAT’S POURING: Alpine Hoppy Birthday, Ballast Point Sculpin, Nodding Head BPA, Nodding Head Ich Bin Ein Berliner
- TIME: 12:00 PM – 11:00 PM
- Deschutes Brewery Street Pub at Headhouse Square (509 S 2nd Street, Philadelphia)
- EVENT: The first and only east coast stop, Street Pub is a 400+ foot bar of epic proportions that you'll want to experience for yourself
- WHAT’S POURING: Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Black Butte Porter, Chainbreaker White IPA, Inversion IPA, Deschutes River Ale, Fresh Squeezed IPA, Pinedrops IPA, Foray IPA, Twilight Summer Ale, Bachelor Bitter, India Red Ale, Zarabanda, Black Butte XXVI, The Abyss (2014), Not the Stoic, Black Butte XXV
- TIME: 12:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Smokin’ Betty’s Broads, Brews and Queens (116 S 11th St, Philadelphia)
- EVENT: Always one of the most exciting events of the week, come out to this Gayborhood bar to help celebrate the several ladies of the beer industry and stick around late for the drag show
- WHAT’S POURING: Limited releases from Evolution, Dominion, Sixpoint, Evil Genius, Oskar Blues, Smuttynose, Yards, and more
- TIME: 9:00 PM - close
- Sundae with Yards & Quest Love (3925 Walnut St, Philadelphia)
- EVENT: 5 Hour Super Set with Philly’s superior native son (Questlove) and a ton of Yard’s beer
- WHAT’S POURING: Brawler, Philly Pale, Love Stout, Anniversary Beer, PBW White IPA, Cask of something good
- TIME: 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- TICKETS: $10 entry